Harriers inconsistent away form reared its ugly head again on Tuesday evening as they went down to a narrow, frustrating 1-0 defeat at Woking's Kingfield Stadium.

The Harriers management team were forced into two changes for this game as Lee Fowler and Kyle Storer missed out through suspension, they moved personnel around including shifting Danny Jackman into midfield before bringing in Mickey Demetriou and Anthony Malbon to the starting line-up.

Woking started the far brighter of the two teams on another chilly evening and they forced good early openings to breach the Harriers rearguard, Charles Banya's low shot trickled wide while Danny Lewis was forced to hold Jack Marriott's header as the Cards gathered momentum.

On 14 minutes vastly experienced campaigner Kevin Betsy was next to go close as Harriers were unable to clear a ball into the box - the Woking man caught it cleanly on the volley but watched on as the ball was deflected away from danger.

Harriers desperately tried to force home goalkeeper Sam Beasant into some work and although he was without a serious save to make inside the opening half an hour, he did just after that have one piece of work to do as he gathered up a dipping volley from Lee Vaughan.

Josh Payne was proving to be a real ball-winner in the heart of the Woking side and he advanced forward eight minutes before the break and let fly but his effort dropped wide of goal.

Just into the second half Callum Gittings, fresh from two goals against Newport the previous game, lashed one high over Beasant's target before Joe Lolley did much similar after sprinting into the box on the angle.

The two sides then traded free-kicks from distance but neither goalkeeper was truly concerned - Payne's effort caught by Lewis before Beasant was equally alert in taking care of a rising effort from Danny Jackman.

Though the second period offered more encouragement from a Harriers perspective, the home side were perhaps a little more threatening and they stole ahead four after the hour as Rendell fired into the net off Betsy's fine centre.

Michael Gash's drive and a close-range effort from Josh Gowling saw Harriers try to fashion an equaliser but the home side's defending remained strong; watching wide Lolley's low drive as a defender got in to block.

Harriers: Lewis, Vaughan, Demetriou, Dunkley, Gash (Blissett 78), Malbon (Johnson 78), Jackman, Gittings, Morgan-Smith, Gowling, Lolley. Subs unused: Dance, Grimes, Vaughan.

Woking: Beasant, Ricketts (Newton 50), Nutter, McNerny, Betsy, Chester, Payne, Rendell, Marriott (Johnson 85), Murtagh, Banya. Subs unused: Howe, Sole, Goddard.

Referee: Justin Amey


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree